Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fancy Pants

When I was approximately 4 months pregnant, a very cynical girl told me that she hopes I won't be one of those obnoxious pregnant women that is like, "look at me I'm pregnant". My initial reaction, seeing how I was puking incessantly and didn't feel even almost happy about pregnancy, said "no, I'm more like 'look at me, I don't have to zip my pants anymore.'" I of course thought that was clever. It was true though...for a while. I now of course wish I had more than one pair of pants that still fit me...and I wish that they wouldn't fall down every 2 seconds. Or that my shirts were long enough to actually cover my whole belly without me constantly tugging on them.

I also dread going in public in fear of the inescapable situation where regardless of my downturned eyes, a stranger will approach me and ask me all about my due date and my weight, and then offer their comments and knowledge about how big I should be or how much weight I should gain or how they know a girl who is 6mos along and is bigger than me. And this happens several times in the grocery store or anywhere I happen to be. There are also silent supporters who just look at you and give you this huge smile as if to say "oh how special!". But then there are those that do NOT like seeing pregnant women. I have gotten so many terribly annoyed looks from people---which makes me want to yell at them, "I HATE BEING PREGNANT!!!" Instead I quietly curse them to be inflicted with the same disease. I don't know how to type an evil laugh...but just imagine that i did. Now that I reflect on that a bit...I am going to instead imagine that they can't get pregnant and they are very sad about it and everywhere they turn there's a bulging pregnant belly in their face...yes that is what I'm going to think.

No comments: